Francis William, known as Will, was born in 1897 and brought up in Montgomery, living with his mother and father first at Rowles Buildings (located where Rowes Terrace now stands) and then at Well House, Well St (now replaced by a pair of semi –detached houses opposite the doctors surgery). In the 1911 census, aged 14 he is described a working as a general labourer on a farm. His elder brother, Charles Edward also served in the forces, with the Royal Welsh Fusiliers, and was awarded the Military Medal, together with two other Montgomery men. There is some confusion over the spelling of the surname Bayson. On the plaque in Montgomery church, and early census records, it is spelled Bason. On the army papers (see below), and the 1911 census, it is spelled Bayson. Will died of wounds on the 20th of August 1917, having been critically wounded at the Battle of Langemark, which took place between the 16th and 18th of August 1917. He is buried at the Cement House Cemetery. Below is the standard notification of his next of kin, and to where any effects should be sent, and his medal card.
There are now 3,592 Commonwealth servicemen of the First World War buried in the Cement House cemetery, of whom 2,425 remain unidentified.