2ND LIEUTENANT EDMUND MAURICE BUCKLEY

7th Battalion Royal Welsh Fusiliers. Lieutenant Buckley was the only son of Sir Edmund Buckley Bart., and he was connected to Montgomery through his mother, Harriet, who was the daughter of the Rev Maurice Lloyd, Rector of Montgomery between 1831 and 1873. His mother had a plaque erected in his memory in Montgomery Church, which can be viewed when the church is open. It is located to the right of the aisle, immediately before the South Transept. The Buckley family was very wealthy when the first Baronetcy was created in 1868, owning 11,000 acres and much of the land between Mallwyd and Bala, in North Wales, together with substantial holdings in Lancashire and Yorkshire; having generated their wealth through mining and quarrying in Yorkshire, Lancashire and North Wales. Edmund’s father succeeded to the baronetcy in 1910, but in 1912, in line with the wishes of his late father, the estates were broken up and sold at auction in Manchester. Edmund was the 2nd Baron’s only son, and so when he died, and following the death of his father in 1919, the baronetcy died out.

The first man connected to Montgomery to die in action, Lieutenant Buckley was a qualified engineer and a graduate of Manchester University, where he is also remembered on their Roll of Service. He enlisted in August 2015, and was commissioned as an officer in the Royal Welsh Fusiliers. On the 9th of August 1915, he landed at Gallipoli, and died at Suvla Bay, of wounds, aged 29 on the 12th of August, just three days later. It is not known how soon after landing he sustained the wounds that would lead to his death. Lieutenant Buckley lies buried at the Lancashire Landing Cemetery, in Turkey, together with 1,236 other casualties of the Gallipoli campaign.